Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Elbows and feet?

He or she moved a lot today, all day. This is a new phase of sensation when the Bean moves. In February and March, the movements were brief - like a punch or kick from inside, but my belly felt like a big water balloon and it wasn't clear where the baby was or what was going on. Now, when I run my hands over my belly, the overall shape has often changed, and sometimes its possible to feel small lumps sticking out, usually near the belly button. It's unclear if the lump is a knee, elbow or foot, but if if I gently press it, it moves away! It's apparent the baby is getting bigger, and there's less room inside, so when he/she moves, we can see shapes slide from one side to another. Michael and I laugh a lot now when looking at the belly after meals, and are amazed by the movements.

People ask when I'm due now, and say "You must be ready to have the baby... Aren't you fed up with being so big?" I haven't gotten to the point where I'm physically uncomfortable yet. My walk has become more awkward (penguin-like), and my pelvis gets stiff after sitting for long periods of time, but it's not uncomfortable.

I'll be glad when the baby arrives so that we can both see it and watch it, and I can retire anxieties about what's happening 'inside'. We're both very excited about the Bean's arrival.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very very excited. I can't wait till Bean arrives. countdown.