Wednesday, February 28, 2007

6-Month Checkup (Wednesday, Feb 28th, 2007)

25 weeks
Weight: 160 pounds (!)
Vitals: 110/60
Bean: 132 beats/minute

Visit went quickly. I took a sugar test -- will get results next Wednesday. Doctor said he thinks my risk of gestational diabetes is low, and although I'm heavier than I've ever been, he said I'm within 25 pounds of my original weight, and has no worries. I'm ok to travel to San Jose in March.

Bean's heartbeat was 132 and my blood pressure is low, both of which are positive.

Next visit is in April, and I'll get a shot of Rhogam (becuase of potential differences in my blood type vs Michael's). No other blood tests will be needed now until it's time to deliver. We will have one more routine ultrasound at week 36 or 38.

--------------------------------------

Rhogam: Rh0 immunoglobulin, also called anti-Rh or anti-D immunoglobulin. An injectable blood product used to protect an Rh-positive fetus from antibodies by its Rh-negative mother. The idea underlying Rhogam is if anti-Rh antibody is given soon after delivery, it blocks the sensitization of the mother and prevents Rh disease from occurring in the woman's next Rh-positive child. Rhogam is now given routinely to Rh-negative women after pregnancies in which they carried Rh-positive fetuses to prevent the mother's immune system from reacting to the Rh-positive blood of any subsequent fetus. Rhogam was developed in the 1960s by Dr. Vincent J. Freda (1927-2003), professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Columbia University.Source: MedicalNet.com http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11961

No comments: